We encourage all qualified candidates to apply for positions that we post on this website and advertise in the media. Some positions require a library background and some do not. All of our jobs require technology skills and the ability to deal with a diverse public and provide excellent customer service.
Library staff members are employees of the City of Ellsworth, Maine.
Position Opening: Library Director
The Ellsworth Public Library Board of Trustees seeks a Library Director who will build upon the Library’s status as an integral part of Ellsworth and as a hub of regional use. The Library serves the city of Ellsworth and many surrounding communities for a combined service population of around 20,000 people. This includes a mix of year-round and seasonal residents. The Director reports to the Board of Trustees and is also a City of Ellsworth Department Head.
The Board seeks applications from individuals who demonstrate enthusiasm for and commitment to planning, organizing, directing and coordinating all Library functions.
The Board will consider applicants who demonstrate the following:
- Master’s Degree in Library Science or Library and Information Science from an accredited institution
- Minimum of five years full-time employment in a library, with at least two years in a supervisory position
- Experience preparing an annual budget and presenting a budget to municipal funders
- Strong background and skills in a broad range of current library technologies
- An ability to responsibly select Library materials
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- A ‘can do’ leadership philosophy that is cooperative and inclusive
- Knowledge of fundraising techniques for operations and ongoing programs
- Experience writing successful grant applications
- Documented success in collaborative endeavors with community stakeholders
- Establishment of a warm, friendly atmosphere that welcomes diversity in all ways
- Customer service attitude and skills
- Ability to evaluate the Library’s current strengths, build a vision of a stronger Library and be the keeper of that vision
- Expect and maintain a high quality of work and harmonious relations among staff, patrons, Trustees, City of Ellsworth Staff and Ellsworth City Council
- Work cooperatively with the Friends of the Ellsworth Public Library
Standards of Performance:
Regular evaluation by the Board of Trustees
The City of Ellsworth offers an exceptional benefit package that includes eleven paid holidays, medical insurance, and retirement options. Starting pay range for this position is $60,000 – $80,000, commensurate with experience.
Review of applications will begin in early June and will continue until a suitable candidate is found.
APPLY VIA EMAIL
Email PDF files of your cover letter, resume and contact information for three references to email@example.com.
APPLY BY MAIL
Mail paper copies of your cover letter, resume and contact information for three references to:
City of Ellsworth
Human Resources Department
One City Hall Plaza
Ellsworth, Maine 04605
The City of Ellsworth, Maine is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
A full job description is available here